Sogdians in Late Antiquity
Wednesday 9 September, 2020: 4pm (UK time)
Panellists for this webinar were:
- Dr Khodadad Rezakhani (Princeton University)
- Professor Aleksandr Naymark (Hofstra University)
- Dr Judith Lerner (New York University)
Following the appearance of an outstanding website on the Sogdians, hosted by the Smithsonian Institution, we discussed current research problems concerning Sogdian society in Late Antiquity. Questions included:
- To what extent was this a merchant society?
- What can the relative prominence of secular art tell us about Sogdian society?
- What do we learn about Sogdians from evidence outside Sogdiana, particularly from China?